This post contains affiliate links.
Have you ever seen this elephant magic trick on tv? It looks impossible because it’s an elephant of almost five tons, not a pencil or any small thing, a real-life elephant.
Magic tricks like this seem unreal. But, like all other magic and mentalism tricks, it requires illusions, mastery, and in this case a little TV magic. The right performer, and team, will make this trick seem effortless on tv.
For this trick specifically, the magician performs this illusion among the spectators a circle which is obviously surprising. For performing this trick, the magician needs a larger than normal audience to make it seem realistic. Performing tricks are TV is a much simpler task than those that a performed in person with a live audience that isn't paid.
- An open ground
- An elephant
- Two large sheets
- A huge crowd.
- A place to hide the elephant.
How it Appears
For performing this trick the magician selects a wide and bright place so that people can easily watch that there is not any truck or any other secret box where there are chances of having an elephant hide. Everything is cut and clear.
First, the magician gathers the volunteers to witness the magic. Arranging them in a circle around two large sheets and leaving only the space for the cameraman and his other team workers. Then he asks his assistances to pick up the sheets and form a box that is close from three sides especially from the front. And after some time when he orders to lower the sheets, the audience gets surprised to watch the elephant. Wow, but how is it done? What is the secret behind it?
The secrets in this trick are
- The spectators standing there are all part of this trick.
- The purpose of standing them in a circle is only to pretend that the ground is free from elephants.
- There is an area in the ground where there are plants and trees and is a dense area. But you will be surprised to hear that it is created to distract the audience and to prevent their attention from going there.
- This all is created to hide an elephant. Because if there is standing a truck or some kind of box, then it becomes easy for the audience to judge that there is an elephant in it.
- While performing at the camera shows the only front side of the sheet.
So how is it actually done?
As the spectators are involved in it, so it is easy to perform. As the camera focuses only front side, so assistances of the magician brings out the elephant from the secret place and make it stand in the middle of sheets and completely close them. Finally, magician gives instructions to drop the sheets and audience can see the elephant.
- Hide the elephant completely so that the audience can’t see it.
- The hiding place should look natural to misguide the people.
- The camera should make the view from the front only.
- Hold the sheets firmly otherwise your trick will be failed.
We all may know TV magic is a trick, but sometimes it's hard to tell where the illusion can be found in the shot. Learning tricks for TV is all about performing and appearance. But, a true mentalist can perform in person without question of his skill. Now, the next time you see this elephant magic trick on TV you can impress everyone with your knowledge of how it's done.